What should we look for on the label of a wine bottle?
How do we read the Romanian wine label? Well, we must pay attention to the following details found on the labels of a wine bottle.
Wine labelling represents: mentions, indications, factory or commercial brands, images, signs, symbols, which we can see on any packaging, document, announcement, label, ring, cuff, hood, stopper, presentation in the online environment, which accompanies a certain wine product or refers to it.
Any wine product sold in Romania in containers of maximum 60 liters must be labelled according to the legislation in force (wines (quiet, effervescent or special), musts, wine vinegar, marc and wine by-products). Each manufacturer, bottler or trader can customize their label, but personalization goes as far as choosing a certain form of glass, a certain shape of the box, hood or the like.
On the wine label of a Romanian wine we must find at least the MANDATORY INDICATIONS. This would be the technical label or the main label. Most wines bottled in the bottle also have a counter-label, which contains graphics, brand / brand and other personalization elements, so this secondary label can be called the artistic label. What this artistic wine label will contain is left to the choice of the one responsible for design or marketing. Therefore, we will identify only the technical label and the mandatory information, together with some optional information that can accompany the product throughout its life from bottling to the consumer.
THE MANDATORY INDICATIONS must be grouped in the same field of vision (not to have to rotate the glass in order to be able to read them), to be written with clear letters / number, easy to read, by nesters and large enough to stand out from the background on the wine label which they were printed.
The mandatory indications are:
- Name of controlled + its name sor geographical indication+ its name,for example: Wine with a controlled designation of origin BANAT orWine with geographical indication Viile Carasului
- Acquired alcoholic strength (in characters of 5 mm, in glass of 0.75 l), e.g.: 12,5 % vol.alc.
- Country of origin: Produced in Romania
- The name of the bottler, written with the smallest characters and with all the contact details: address, phone, e-mail, site / GPS coordinates (as the case may be)
- indication of the type of effervescent wine according to the sugar content (glucose and fructose), in the case of sparkling wine, sparkling wine, quality sparkling wine or quality sparkling wine of aromatic type. One of the following variants will be written: Gross-natured, Extra-gross, Gross, Extra-dry, Dry, Demi-sec, Sweet, ,as the case may be.
- in the case of sparkling wine and aerated semi-sparkling wine, an indication of the production method: ‘obtained by the addition of carbon dioxide’; It will be written: "sparkling wine obtained by adding carbon dioxide"/ " "pearlescent wine obtained by adding carbon dioxide",”,as the case may be.
- the nominal volume of the container (in characters of at least 5 mm, in a bottle of 0.75 l), e.g.: e – 0,75 l/ 75 cl/ 750 ml.
- mentions indicating the sugar content: dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet, sweet,,as the case may be.
- indication of the batch number allowing identification of the date of bottling, e.g.: _MO21or fullL034MTO2021_MO21 sau 2022-06-30
- Varietal wine, if the wine is obtained from the varieties accepted for the production of varietal wine and has neither a designation of origin nor a geographical indication
- Name of importer with all contact details, if applicable
- The indications : "sulphites" or "sulphur dioxide", "eggs", "egg proteins", "egg products", "lysozyme from eggs" or "egg albumin", "milk", "milk products", "milk casein" or "milk proteins" or the corresponding pictograms, as the case may be; At least the phrase"contains sulfites" ”. must be written.
- The certification mark of origin and authenticity received from O.N.V.P.V.V., for wines with a controlled designation of origin, geographical or varietal indication produced in Romania
More recently, both the mandatory mentions regarding the importer and the lot number, as well as the mention "contains sulfites" can be written outside the field of vision in which the other mandatory indications appear, that is, on the hood, on a cuff, on the artistic label, etc.
The mandatory indications will be mentioned on the labels in Romanian, for wine products produced in Romania. If the products are intended for export, you can also write the translation into another language, but not instead of the Romanian language, but next to it.
Optional indications may appear on any of the wine labels, filling in the information that is intended to be sent to us, but not instead of the mandatory indications. As a rule, the optional information appears on the artistic label and is:
- D.O.P. / D.O.C. – (one of the traditional mentions: C.M.D., C.T., C.I.B.) Ex.: D.O.P. / D.O.C. – C.M.D. Banat
- the sub-name of origin, which can be written next to the name of controlled origin, but cannot be written alone. Ex.: D.O.P. / D.O.C. – C.M.D. Banat, SilagiuorD.O.P. / D.O.C. – C.M.D. Banat, Dealurile Tirolului.
- the year of harvest;
- color of the wine, as it was framed for sale; (the name of the variety is not a guarantee of the color of the wine obtained from it, due to the techniques or winemaking options)
- the name of one or more wine grape varieties.The names of the vine varieties can be used for labelling only if: they are allowed in the culture in the wine-growing areas of Romania; are used for the designation of a wine with a registered designation of origin or geographical indication, in accordance with the specifications; are used for the designation of a varietal wine; where the name of a single vine variety or a synonym thereof is used, the product must have been obtained in a proportion of at least 85 % of the said variety;
- the European Union symbol indicating the registered designation of origin or geographical indication
- particulars referring to certain production methods
- in the case of wines with a controlled designation of origin or geographical the name of the land, , as it is in the popular toponymy, e.g.: Dealul Crucii, Poiana Acaciailor, Valea tiganului etc.
- trademarks/ brand
- the distinctions received, , only for the lot in question
- pictograms used for the labelling of products that allow a better visibility of the information, the bottler.
- DECISION on the approval of the Methodological Norms for the application of the Law on vine and wine in the system of common organization of the market in wine no. 164/2015
- COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2019/34 of 17 October 2018 laying down detailed rules for the application of both Regulation (EU) No …/… Regulation (EC) No 1308/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council, as regards applications for protection of designations of origin, geographical indications and traditional terms in the wine sector, the opposition procedure, amendments to product specifications, registration of protected names, cancellation of protection and use of symbols, as well as Regulation (EU) No 1308/2013. Regulation (EC) No 1306/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council, as regards an adequate system of controls