Mundus Vini - Romania impresses
Romanian wines impressed, once again, the judges of Mundus Vini, one of the most important wine competitions in the world. Romania won a total of 25 gold medals and 8 silver medals, proving once again that it deserves a leading place among wine-producing countries.
The producers who won the most distinctions were Crama Girboiu (5 gold medals), Budureasca (3 gold medals and a silver one), Unicom Production / Davino (two gold medals and one silver), Via Viticola, Podgoria Silvania and Vinarte (with 2 gold medals each).
The Grand International Wine Award, to which more than 7,500 samples from all over the world were submitted, was at its 32nd edition and is the central event among the 11 competitions supported by Meininger, the editorial group that offers, for almost 120 years, the most relevant information about wine and the global wine trade. In recent years, the group added to the traditional wine contests competitions specialized in spirits, beer, organic and rose wine.
In 2022, for the first time in the history of the contest, the members of the jury had an evening entirely dedicated to Romanian wines, thanks to the efforts of the Wines of Romania founder, Marinela Ardelean, a regular juror in the Meininger contests, including those dedicated to spirits and organic wines, often as chair of the commission. This year, the Wines of Romania team was represented by Mihaela Cojocaru, wine expert, sommelier and WSET Diploma graduate.
"This competition reminded me, first of all, of the fact that many emerging countries, such as Romania or Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, etc., produce surprising wines, capable of offering unique emotions.
I had the opportunity to tell stories about Romania and how much the quality of wines has improved. I was happy to hear that both in many European and non-European countries, wine lovers are open to new things and no longer just want the same Italian, French or Spanish wines. It is a growing trend for our wines and we must take advantage of this moment", said Mihaela Cojocaru after the contest.
Romanian wines awarded by Mundus Vini:
- Budureasca – Premium Fume, 2021
- Domaine Vinarte – Prince Mircea Negru de Dragasani, 2021
- Crama Girboiu – Constantin Red Blend, 2017
- Crama Girboiu – Constantin 60 ani Cabernet Sauvignon, 2018
- Crama Girboiu – Bacanta Syrah, 2018
- Crama Girboiu – Bacanta Feteasca neagra, 2017
- Crama Girboiu – Ambra Sarba 2020, sweet wine
- Budureasca – Sauvignon blanc Premium, 2021
- Budureasca – Origini Shiraz, 2018
- Budureasca – Tamaioasa romaneasca Premium
- Domeniile Sahateni – Promessa, Feteasca neagra & Syrah, 2020
- Cramele Recas – Sanziana Pinot Grigio 2022
- Domeniile Blaga – Cabernet Sauvignon, 2017
- Domeniile Averesti Feteasca neagra Junior, 2020
- Jidvei – Traminer CIB, 2018
- Via Viticola – Patima Cabernet Sauvignon, 2018
- Via Viticola – Migala Cuvee 25, 2017
- Podgoria Silvania – Magura Silvaniei Merlot, 2018
- Podgoria Silvania – Blanc des Blancs
- Domaine Vinarte – Nedeea 2020, red blend
- Domaine Vinarte – Prince Mircea Feteasca neagra, 2021
- Unicom Production – Faurar red, 2018
- Unicom Production – Davino Domaine Ceptura Rouge, 2018
- SERVE Ceptura – Terra Romana Millenium rosu, 2018
- Provitis Serv – Navigo Compas rose, 2022
- Budureasca – Feteasca neagra Premium, 2020
- Transilvania’s Wine – Lechburg Muscat, 2021
- Jidvei – Owner’s Choice Ana, Sauvignon blanc, 2022
- Strunga (PFA Stegariu Florin) – Chardonnay Barrique, 2021
- Podgoria Silvania – Magura Chardonnay, 2020
- Agro Industrial Ceres – C’est Soir Traminer, 2022
- Unicom Production – Flamboyant 2018
- SERVE Ceptura – Cuvee Alexandru, 2017