The summer edition of Mundus Vini has come to an end, and the results are promising for Romania: out of 91 registered samples, Romanian wines won 30 gold medals and 13 silver medals.
Romania, tied with Austria in amount of medals
The 33rd edition of the Mundus Vini International Wine Award ended on Sunday, September 3, 2023, with a total of 1,676 awarded wines. Almost 140 international wine experts participated in the four-day tasting in Neustadt an der Weinstraße.
Ranking by the number of medals, Italy wins the first place in the summer session of the competition (3 great gold medals, 225 gold medals, 215 silver medals), followed by Spain (5 great gold medals, 148 gold, 125 silver) and Germany (2 great gold medals, 116 gold medals, 118 silver). Next in the ranking are Portugal (100 medals), France (90), Georgia (62), as well as South Africa (45), Austria (43), Romania (43) and the Czech Republic (40).
Among the German wine regions, the Palatinate once again wins first place (2 great gold medals, 44 gold medals, 38 silver), followed by Baden (55 medals), Franconia (22), Württemberg (22), Rheinhessen (19) and Mosel (13). The wines from Ahr, Rheingau, Saxony, Nahe and Saale-Unstrut were also awarded and appreciated by the jury.
For German wine, keep your eyes on the Palatinate!
Vier Jahreszeiten eG from Bad Dürkheim, Palatinate, received seven gold and eight silver medals, winning the title of the most successful German wine cooperative. The most successful German winery is Weingut am Kaiserbaum, also from the Palatinate region (Rhineland-Pfalz), which won two great gold medals and six gold medals for its wines.
Among the most awarded international wineries are Taylor Wines (Australia, 1 great gold medal, 6 gold, 5 silver), Vinaria Purcari (Moldova, 10 gold medals, 6 silver), Fattoria La Vialla (Italy, a great gold medal, 5 gold, 8 silver) and Anecoop (Spain, with 17 gold and 11 silver medals).
This year, the prize for the best importer n Germany goes to Eggers & Franke GmbH, which won a total of 18 gold and 16 silver medals for wines sold in Germany.
The competition also awards "Best of Show" medals, only to underscore the best wine in a certain category. In 2023, these distinctions were awarded to "Best of Show Champagne Vintage" (Alfred Gratien Millesime 2009), "Best of Show Germany noble sweet" (2018 Lerchenspiel Rieslaner, Beerenauslese, Weingut am Kaiserbaum), "Best of Show Amarone" (Casa Vinicola Sartori) and "Best of Show Fortified Wine" (61 Doarde en Rama, Bodega Cuatro Rayas).
Romania won a total of 43 medals, 30 of which were gold. Among the most awarded wineries are Mera Com International (Girboiu Winery – with 7 gold medals), Domaine Alexandrion Rhein 1892 (5 gold and 3 silver medals) and Corcova (7 gold medals).
Gold medals @ Mundus Vini 2023, Summer Tasting
- Sole Chardonnay 2022, Cramele Recas
- Crama Oprisor Feteasca neagra 2019, Carl Reh Winery
- Caloian Feteasca neagra 2022, Carl Reh Winery
- La Cetate, Cabernet Sauvignon 2018, Carl Reh Winery
- Hyperion Exclusive Tamaioasa Romaneasca 2022, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- Hyperion Exclusive Feteasca neagra 2020, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- Byzantium Cabernet Sauvignon 2021, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- Carpathia Chardonnay Dry 2021, Viti-Pomicola Samburesti
- Carpathia Cabernet Sauvignon 2021, Viti-Pomicola Samburesti
- Hyperion Exclusive Chardonnay 2022, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein
- Sur Mer rosu 2020, Rasova Wine
- Imperfect 2022, Rasova Wine
- Corcova, Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot 2018, Viticola Corcova
- Corcova Reserve Cuvee Boheme 2019, Viticola Corcova
- Corcova Magna 2017, Viticola Corcova
- Corcova, Reserve Cuvee Racoveanu, Viticola Corcova
- Corcova Eclat, 2022, Viticola Corcova
- Corcova, Lasy Asquith, Viticola Corcova
- Corcova, Feteasca neagra 2020, Viticola Corcova
- Petite Helena 2021, Premium White Blend, Mera Com International
- Livia Sarba 2022, Mera Com International
- Bacanta, Merlot 2018, Mera Com International
- Bacanta, Chardonnay 2017, Mera Com International
- Bacanta, Special Edition Sarba 2022, Mera Com International
- Bacanta, Reserva Premium Red Blend 2019, Mera Com International
- Bacanta, Sarba barrique 2022, Mera Com International
- Hyperion, Feteasca neagra 2019, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- Issa Chardonnay Barrique, 2021, Crama La Salina
- Muse Day 2022, Cramele Recas
- Paparuda Feteasca Regala 2022, Cramele Recas
Silver medals @ Mundus Vini 2023, Summer tasting
- Speis&Trank Pinot Grigio 2022, Cramele Recas
- Carpathia Rose, SC Viti-Pomicola Samburesti
- Hyperion Viognier 2022, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- WA Rhein & Cie Blanc Brut, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- Rhein Extra Royale Brut, Domeniile Alexandrion Rhein 1892
- Speis&Trank Sauvignon blanc 2022, Cramele Recas
- Issa Pinot noir rose 2022, Crama La Salina
- Wine Meat Love 2022, Cramele Recas
- Sanziana Pinot Grigio (alb) 2022, Cramele Recas
- Solo Quinta 2022, Cramele Recas
- Sanziana Cabernet Sauvignon 2021, Cramele Recas
- Sanziana Pinot Grigio Rose 2022, Cramele Recas
- Muse Night 2022, Cramele Recas
📷 Photo source: Mundus Vini